Make spring entertaining easy with a midday buffet filled with do-ahead dishes.
About 155 cals, 1 g protein, 1 g carbs, 13 g fat (3 g sat), 190 mg sodium.
- 12 large eggs
- 1/2 c. mayonnaise
- 1/4 c. finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 3 thin slices carrot
- 24 capers, blotted dry
- Dill springs for garnish
- In 4-quart saucepan, place eggs and enough water to cover. Heat to boiling on high, cover with lid; remove from heat. Let stand 12 minutes. Cool, then peel.
- Trim bottoms of eggs so they stand upright. Cut off top third of eggs, reserving egg white tops. Gently remove yolks; place in medium bowl. Mash with mayonnaise, Parmesan and mustard until smooth. Transfer to quart-size resealable plastic bag.
- Snip a small hole in corner of plastic bag. Pipe enough yolk mixture into each egg white to fill cavity and come about 1 inch above rim.
- Cut carrots into very small triangles. Stud yolks with capers for eyes and carrots for beaks. Top with egg white tops. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to 1 day.
- To serve, line platter with dill. Arrange chicks carefully on top.